Friday, September 17, 2010

Part one The $200 bathroom redo!

Well here is my first series! The $200.00 bathroom redo!

 The challenge: redo the "pink" bathroom in our 1980's middle class ranch
Time frame: Whenever I can get to it! lol
Projects:
 1)counter top resurface
 2)flooring
 3) paint w/ faux finish
 4) theme
 5)color palette
 6) refinish vanity

Start Date: 5/2010


ok so here is the pink room! pink floor, pink toilet cover, pink vanity top, old vanity w/ peeling finish




So my first project is the vanity top and toilet cover, Eww whoever invented a rubber fluffy toilet seat cover should pay a large fine! lol this thing was probably 20 years old and no one had cleaned behind it for God knows how long! taking it off was a project in and of itself! I replaced it with a white hard cover with brushed nickle fittings! yay!

Next was the counter top, this has been harder for me because on a 200 dollar budget I cant get a new one. SOOOO I decided to re cover it. This is funny though because in this instance I did not do the research I should have. I went into the HI (home improvement) store and looked around, I didn't ask anyone (bad idea) and I formulate the idea to spray paint it. So I picked a beige colored textured (again bad idea) spray paint used for plastics. Also I picked up a clear enamel spray to cover the top, I had a clear enamel paint left over at the house from a former cabinet project.
I started by taping all no paint areas, then ventilating the room as well as I could ( a fan and window) I also used a face mask. I spray painted the textured stuff first, then after it dried I sprayed a non textured paint then sanded it sound gently to create a smoother finish. BTW textured is bad! Dont use it unless you never plan to clean the surface! Then about a hundred ( ok maybe 15) coats of enamel.
It is now white-ish and works for now, eventually I plan on replacing it but for the $200 bathroom it had to do for now.  I will post a pic of it soon..... Oh and why it was a bad idea to use spray paint.....They make a counter top cover paint in a can, no fumes no mess...lol thats what I get for not asking!

Well thats it for #1 in the $200 bathroom series.  Hope you liked it! if you have any questions feel free to comment them!



No comments:

Post a Comment